Monday, September 10, 2012

DIY Autumn Wreath

Hello!! To help myself get over the end of the summer I put together a project to make an autumn wreath.  My inspiration came from this wreath from pinterest.  I'm proud of this wreath because figuring out how to weave the ribbon through the metal frame was difficult! Let the Fall decorating begin!! 

Materials used: 
1 16 in. metal wreath form
2 rolls of wired burlap ribbon (2 1/2 in. x 5 yrds)
decorative ribbon (for bow)
faux flowers embellishments 
scissors 
needle and thread
Method: 

1. Starting with the outer two wires weave the ribbon back and forth to make 6 loops.  Keep the ribbon loose to create a puffy loop.  You may need to adjust as you go by scrunching the loops together to make room for all 6.  At the 7th loop, straddle the ribbon from one side of the vertical wire divider to the next.  Then continue to make 6 more loops. 
2.  After you make your way around the outer circle, cut off any excess ribbon and tuck in the end.  Begin to make your loops on the inner circle just like the outer.  This time create 4 loops per section and straddle the 5th.


3. Decorate your wreath to your taste.  First I create a bow at the bottom.

(I tied a piece of ribbon vertically, and knotted it on the back.  Then I slid a longer piece of ribbon under the loop and tied a bow.  I'm not the best bow maker...took several tries!)

After arranging the faux flowers, I wrapped them together in left over ribbon.  I secured the wrap by hand sewing the end.  Then I attached the flowers onto the wreath by sewing the wrap onto the loops.
More fall decorating DIY to come!!
Thanks for coming by!

6 comments:

  1. You did such a great job! This looks amazing! I just realized I need to get my fall decorations out now! How did that happen so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous babe! You are so crafty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is really really clever and i love the idea of a fall wreath! oh how i love pinterest and crafty diy's! i love this. i really really do. :) i can't wait to have my own home and decorate my walls with diy's. :)

    love your blog by the way. just happened to stumble upon it. have a great day!

    - melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa! Thank you for the very thoughtful comment! I'm glad you stumbled across my blog! I"ll stop by yours too. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your support, ideas, and feedback!