Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Healthy dinner: Kale and White Bean Couscous Recipe

Hi! I have neglected my blog for far too long.  Last night I tried a new recipe that inspired me to share it on here.  I found the recipe on allrecipes.com.  I love the earthy flavors that the whole wheat couscous and toasted almonds give to this dish.  It makes a perfect fast and healthy meal for the summer.



Kale and White Bean Couscous

Ingredients: 
1 cup water
2 tbsp butter
1 cup whole wheat couscous
2 tbsp olive oil
1 (15oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (alternative white beans can be used)
1 cup chopped kale
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup whole almonds, halved (toast first at 350 degrees until you smell the almonds)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and back pepper to taste

Method: (Makes 4 servings)
1. Bring water and butter to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat.  Add couscous and stir well.  Cover saucepan and let couscous sit until water absorbed, about 5 minutes.  Fluff couscous with a fork.

2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir cannellini beans, kale, and garlic in the hot oil until kale is wilted, 5 to 10 minutes.  mix kale mixture into couscous; fold in almonds.

3.  When serving, top with Parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

If you try it, let me know how you like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your support, ideas, and feedback!