Monday, November 7, 2011

Instant Art/ Earrings Holder

This is one of my favorite projects that I would like to share with you all.  I'm the type of person who needs to see what I have to wear it, and that's why I love this project.   I found it about 4 years ago in a Real Simple magazine.  It's fast and easy to make, and it looks great!

Materials: 
a wooden picture frame (in particular one that can stand on its own).  You can find cheap ones at places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

a picture hanging kit

a hammer
a medium sized nail
scissors
a pencil

Steps:
1. Remove the glass and backing of the frame.
2. Create a small hole in the groove where the glass was by using a hammer and nail (you only need to hit the nail a few times, this is to prep for the eye hook).  Remove the nail. 
3. Position the eye hook in the hole, and twist it into the wood until it feels tight.
4. Use a ruler and pencil to mark (on the back of the frame) where the 2nd eye hook should go so that it is even.
                                                    
5. Using the mark as a guide, create the 2nd hole in the groove and twist the screw into the frame (see step 2). 
6. Cut the wire so that there is about an inch excess on each side.

                                       
7. Loop the wire into the hook and twist the wire to secure it on each side.  (Make sure to pull it tight!)
                                        
8.  Add multiple layers of wire depending on the size of your frame.  
(Tip after your first row, hang an earring to see how far down the next wire should go.)
                                                   
9. Place the frame on your dresser or add a bracket to the back to hang it on the wall.
                                               
10.  Hang your earrings and enjoy your beautiful instant art! 


2 comments:

  1. Amanda - I love how creative you are!:-) I was actually wondering if you had a way to hang jewelry up that would look nice and this is great! 2 questions: where can I get the wire to hold the earrings, and do you have an idea for a necklace holder? I have a lot of necklaces that are very long. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found an idea that can work for you. I bought the wire at Bed Bath and Beyond. It came in a picture frame hanging kit. I'm sure you can get it at any home improvement store..maybe even Duane Reade!

      As for necklaces I hang mine on a wooden piece that I eventually want to transform into this http://pinterest.com/pin/43839796342255754/.
      You can also go to a place like home goods and pick out a piece of wood art,...then twist in hooks from a hardware store. I'll try to get going on this project so I can post it.
      Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your support, ideas, and feedback!