Friday, December 30, 2011

Cozy Window Warmers

Happy New Year! This year I’m going to collect my memories in a time capsule jar, an idea that I found on Brassy Apple's blog.

One of my resolutions this year is to fight the winter blues that I sometimes feel on dark and cold days by getting busy! I bought a Pilates mat so I can continue to exercise on the days I don’t have class, I have several winter recipes lined up to try, and of course I am gathering fun decor ideas that will bring cheer to my apartment. 

I spent New Years Eve day lounging around and made cozy window warmers for my living room and bedroom windows.  I found this idea on Pintrest, and decided to alter it.  I chose to make warmers that would sit subtly in the background.  They're great for blocking drafts.


Materials:
Stockings (I found these at Marshalls for only $5)


Rice (Each warmer needs about 5lbs of rice.  I bought a 10lb bag for $6.50)
Needle and thread
Scissors
Funnel or small cup to fill the stocking with rice

Method:
1.  Cut the stockings up the middle.


2.  Using a funnel or a small cup, fill the stocking (will need at least 5 lbs of rice.)



3.  Lay the warmer on the windowsill or along the door to measure how long you will need it.  Distribute the rice evenly. 


4.  Cut the stocking a little longer than the length you need.

5. Stitch the open end shut or you can tie a knot. I’m not the best sewer.  Choose a method that works best for you!

6.  Add a simple detail by using ribbon to create a bow, or follow your own creative intuition.



Stay warm and thanks for stopping by!




3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! The simplicity of the bows is perfect! Sounds like you have great plans for 2012! Looking forward to the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! I just looked at my window sill and noticed how bare it is and feels like the cold air is seeping through! Thanks Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies! I'm glad you liked them. They're working in this freezing weather!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your support, ideas, and feedback!