Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My first DIY wreath!!

I'm very excited to share with you my first DIY wreath! After some trial and error, this is the end result!


                                                                     Here is how the wreath came to be.... I started with a styrofoam wreath, but I recommend using a straw wreath and keep the plastic cover wrapped on the wreath.  The straw wreaths have a rounder and fuller final look.
                                                                 First I wrapped the wreath with a soft yarn.

My first attempt came out thin looking. 








For my second attempt, I wrapped batting with tape around the styrofoam wreath.  This helped the wreath look fuller. (This is why I recommend using a straw wreath instead.)
  

I secured these faux berry branches onto the wreath by tying them on with yarn.


Next I tied on strands of gray satin material just for looks. 
The gray satin fabric pieces are scraps from my maid of honor dress! 
Lastly I added felt rosettes with buttons and beads in the center.  The berry colored buttons and beads help tie all the colors together.  This was my first time making these, and I found Home Stories A 2 Z's tutorial to be extremely helpful!

The flowers add balance to the wreath for it to hang straight.
And there you have it! My first DIY wreath! 


Until next time, 

4 comments:

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your support, ideas, and feedback!