Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wine Bottle Candle Holders

I'm back with a fun wine bottle candle holder project!  (I was inspired by this on Pintrest and used this tutorial.) I love creating a warm and friendly ambiance, and these wine bottle candle holders give off a pretty glow.  Soon I'll need to replace my winter candle holders with Spring decor, and I think the wine glasses will be a great touch!

Did you know that you can cut a glass bottle without using any tools? Well you can! Keep reading to see how!

Here's what you need:
Empty wine bottles, cotton string, nail polish remover, and matches


1.  Remove labels.  Soak bottle(s) for 20 minutes a sink of warm to hot water with 3 drops of soap. Labels should peel off.  You may need to scrap off leftover glue.

2.  Drain the warm water and refill sink with cold water. 

 3.  Wrap cotton string around the bottle about 5 to 6 times.  Tie a knot and cut off ends.

4.  Roll the string hoop off the bottle and soak it in the nail polish remover. Make sure the entire hoop is saturated in the polish remover. 

5.  Place the hoop back on the bottle in the location where you want the cut to be made.  (It's easier if you put the hoop back on over the neck of the bottle, and then slide it down.)

6. Standing over the sink, light the string on fire.  Hold the neck of the bottle and slowly rotate it so the flame burns the string evenly.  Tilt the bottle so the base is pointed slightly upwards to retain the heat.

7.  After the flame burns out, gently plunge the bottle in the cold water.  The bottle will cut in half.  It most likely won't be even and you may prefer to sand the edges.

Here is the end result!

I'm fascinated by how you can cut a bottle using this method! I'll post pictures when I complete more.  I plan to do different sizes, colors, and widths.  I'm going to add sand or some type of filler to the base as well.  

I also want to cut out the bottom of a bottle and fill it with stringed lights. Like this!
  Source: austinweddingblog.com via Amanda on Pinterest
       
Stay tuned!






P.S. Check out this beautiful bone china décor by Rocks&Mountains
 
 

3 comments:

  1. OMG..You are so talented...indeed God has put something great in you...I need you to add me in your email list of ANYTHING...I think there is so much going on with you I need to pick up....God bless...

    LIZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..elawm@yahoo.com...LIZ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your support, ideas, and feedback!